Traveling Abroad – Passport Requirements

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Air Travel with Babies and other Baby Travel topics.

If I’m traveling outside of the U.S., will I need passports for the whole family?

Traveling Abroad – Passport Requirements

Paperwork, though perhaps one of the least desirable parts of travel planning, is a necessary part of your travel plans. The requirements for traveling abroad are changing. If you're planning on travel outside of the United States, you should be aware of the documents you need to take with you.

If you're planning any travel outside of the United States, you should get a passport for each member of the family. This includes baby, parents, and other children. As of January 23, 2007, you now need a passport if you're planning on flying from the U.S. to Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

Starting January 1, 2008, passport requirements may also include car travel and cruise travel outside of the U.S. to places like Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean.

If you're a parent traveling on your own, keep in mind you'll need to have additional documentation on hand when traveling abroad – regardless of whether you're married, separated, or divorced. For any travel outside of the U.S., many countries require a notarized Permission to Travel letter. In some instances, proof of custody is a requirement as well.

Helpful Hint: You don't have to create your own Permission to Travel Letter. The Family Travel Forum Website has a Permission to Travel Letter all ready to go that you can just download. Go to their Website at



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Baby Travel Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Christina Chan
Buy My Book